When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. This way of serving Absinthe is the traditional way that was used in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. It is known as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and one can easily learn it.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. The Absinthe should contain thujone.
– An Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one. One can get replicas of antiques from AbsintheKit.com.
– One must take a slotted Absinthe spoon.
– Necessity of a cube of sugar.
– One can use iced water in a carafe or in an Absinthe fountain.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– One has to rest the Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– Either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a carafe one can drip iced water over the sugar. When it is drip slowly then the sugar get chance to dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. One must see a lovely “louche” effect after mixing the water into the alcohol. The insolubility of the essential oils in water makes the mixture cloudy when water is added to Absinthe.
– One can enjoy the Green Fairy or the Absinthe.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is not appreciated by many Absinthe followers.
You will need:-
– Utility of an Absinthe glass
– An Absinthe slotted spoon
– Use a cube of sugar
– One must have a lighter or a match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Keep sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest it on the rim of the glass.
– Set the sugar cube alight for one minute to allow the sugar to caramelize and melt. The sugar should drip through the slots of the spoon and into the Absinthe.
– One has to keep the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into it for releasing the flames and causing the Absinthe to louche.
– This is the way of enjoying Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway is famous about mixing it with champagne and called it “Death in the Afternoon”.
There are many mysteries, stories and legends surrounding Absinthe how to prepare it, its history, the ban and the revival. Enjoy drinking this famous mythical drink.